Sunday, January 17, 2010

Four Months In


I've tried to make this blog mostly educational and not so much about me, but for those of you who are interested in my more personal experience, here is my four-month check-in.

1. Teaching (my job): Last term I taught four courses, one on Shakespeare and the Romantics, two speaking courses, and one writing course. I tried to start a film club and lost student interest (I should have offered extra credit, now I know!) and had a fairly successful Shakespearean film club where we watched film adaptations of Shakespeare's plays.  Next term I get to teach American short stories and American contemporary poetry (WOO HOO!) and I'm thrilled. Overall, my students and I adore each other, I love teaching in Turkey more than anywhere I've taught, and my job is super duper fantastico. I also have great supervisors and support in my department and in the embassy. I'm truly blessed in this department.

2. Social life: Uh...well...my social life in Turkey has been pretty non-existent and lonely, peppered with some wonderful moments here and there. However, I have made some incredible friends since I've moved, and my social life is starting to improve, finally. One friend, Beture, is a sixty-year old woman who has completely embraced me into her circle of friends for reasons I don't know, but constantly thank god for (most of her friends are in their late 30s and 40s). Beture speaks perfect English, is from Azerbaijan, and is one of my colleagues. One of her best friends, Diljin, has also embraced me into her life and the two of them are my two favorite people in Isparta, plus Aras, my six-year old bestie.

Because I don't have a car and because I live far from campus, my social life is still pretty bleak--there are no movie theaters that play American films (except 2012), for example. That said, I have a feeling that my social life will really start to pick up when I return next semester...I have some dance classes I'll be going to with my students, a bowling date with a group of students, more friend time, a bit more travel within Turkey to see my American colleagues while I still can, and my recent addiction to a Turkish drama has guaranteed me a spot on Beture's couch on Friday nights.

3. Writing life: I have been rockin' the writing world. I decided to completely rewrite the second half of my monsterously long novel (it's about 425 pages as we speak and I've got about four chapters to go). Anyway, I am LOVING it, and the quiet evenings and weekends have really helped get some significant revision done. I'm really grateful for this. Approximate finish date for the new draft? Sometime early spring is what I'm shooting for. And then I think it'll be done, done, done. Or not.

4. Love life: It has to be mentioned because it is so, so, so fabulous. I have the best boyfriend in the world. I am ridiculously blessed.

5. Family: You are toooo far away. But I'll be home in August--I hope I can see you then!

6. Language skills: I can now talk like a two or possibly three year old. I don't imagine I'll get much beyond that. I'll have a separate post on why Turkish is so dang hard when I get back. You'll see. But my friends are getting impressed with my comprehension, which is great. It means that I know just enough that they're nervous about what they say in front of me...and this is fabulous.

7. Home: My home is falling apart. The pipes are falling out of the walls because the radiator has numerous leaks, the walls are crumbling, the oven blows out the electricty for the whole house, the kitchen smells awful because of some pipe under the sink that's open and has stagnant water inside, the house whistles when it's windy because of all the unsealed windows, and it's constantly cold. But you know what? I have a home, and that's more than I can say than for thousands of people in Haiti. And I have a beautiful view. So again, I am blessed!

8. Overall reflections on Turkey: Is there a nutshell for this one? In short, I would say that you can prepare for some more educational/informational posts when I get back. I'd really like to share more about Turkey's history and also some of the current political situations because it will help you understand just why Turkey's such an important political player (and great place to visit) right now. I feel really blessed that I'm able to be here and get to know Turkey in such a personal way. The country is fascinating, full of history, great food, and full of wonderfully interesting and hospitable people. Turkey is one of the best places I have ever traveled to, and if I was choosing a place to visit I would come here in a heartbeat. Stay tuned for more, but I am really grateful I was placed here for my program.


Okay that's all for now...can you think of any categories I missed? I'll be traveling for about three and a half weeks, going to Milan to see Guido and then to Cairo to for a conference. Stay tuned for some fabulous pics and adventures! Ciao!

p.s. The above pic is where they randomly removed the road in front of my house two days ago. There is just dirt there now. Why? I have no idea. But I love the welcome mat in front...ah...the irony.

No comments:

Post a Comment