Monday, December 21, 2009

And the moral of the story is...

I recently had my students write dialogs for our speaking class. We created the two characters as a class: Jason and Natasha, married Russian immigrants in their mid-thirties, with two kids. Natasha, a truck driver in Istanbul, was frustrated with Jason for his irresponsible spending during his frequent poker games and his drinking problem.

Here is one of my favorites, thanks to the surprise moral ending and the omniscient newscaster. I put corrections in parentheses.

(N=Natasha, J=Jason)

N: Sweetheart, give me a cigarette please.

J: Okay, if you smoke in (the) truck, I'll drink vodka.

N: Why are you comparing yourself with me?

J: Remember, we are equal.

N: You always do this to me! I hate the way you (argue)! I can't stand your drinking. You are always dizzy. You are a different man from (the one) I fell in love (with).

J: You are the same woman whom I fell in love, you say? Ohhh...come on!

N: Things have changed so (much). You said that I was losing my beauty. It (hurt) me!

J: We have been arguing lately. I'm bored with this. If it goes on, I'll hate you!

N: Do you want to divorce?

J: I think it is better for us.

N: I don't want to cry, I don't want to cry!

J: LOOOOOK!

N: Oh my G....

Newscaster: There was an accident last night. A couple argued and had an accident. Unfortunately, both of them died. Please people, be careful when you decide to marry...

(HA!)

No comments:

Post a Comment