Friday, December 18, 2009

O Tannenbaum


This is about as Christmas as it gets here in Turkey: Our Christmas tree. One of Fielding's friends bought a potted tree and we decorated it with a hard-to-find strand of lights, some home made snow flakes, a wall hanging that we decided to use as an ornament, and some carefully crafted popcorn strands that I made (a close-up of the snow flakes and popcorn are below).

Nonetheless, I think he's super cute. His name is Charlie Brown, but I think he'd better than Charlie Brown's trees by far. It's the simple things like this that help you feel not so far away from home. But still--I miss the holiday; it's my favorite. And I miss the subtle signs of it everywhere...here it's nowhere to be found. It's funny too because all the Turks call New Year's Eve Christmas, so they keep asking about my Christmas plans and insisting that they celebrate Christmas too--until I ask them what day they celebrate it on (December 31st of course!) and I explain the difference.

Happy Holidays to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment