Friday, December 18, 2009

Special Birthday Party

Last weekend was really special for me for a number of reasons. One of them was a birthday party I was invited to. One of my colleagues, Beture, has taken me under her wing, introduced me to several of her friends, and invited me to several dinners and breakfasts. Anyway, it was her 60th party--by the way, I think she looks fantastic for 60!

Her best friend Diljin and I planned the party a few weeks before, and I was so touched to be one of the five women invited; the guest list included her daughter and her two children, her best friend Diljin, two other women who she's extremely close with, and another best friend who couldn't make it. Diljin said that Beture would only want people she loved there, and I can't tell you how much it meant to me to be included on that intimate list.

Beture had thought she was just meeting Diljin and I for an afternoon tea, so the whole event was a beautiful surprise. We had picked out an incredibly designed cake, written notes to her that we put into an envelope, Diljin had printed up special photos from her life, Beture's grandaughters prepared songs that they sung and performed on the saz or bağlama, a popular Middle Eastern instrument.

It was truly one of the most special days for me here--complete with incredible food, moving expressions of love and friendship from everyone, and a real feeling that I belonged and was loved here in Turkey. I know my students love me here, but to really connect on a deep level with friends...that was a great gift.

As part of my gift to Beture, I took over 240 photos for her to treasure the event. I've selected a few here to share with you. Just click on the album below.

No comments:

Post a Comment