Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cute puppies and big, mean dogs


The only problem with puppies is that they turn into adult dogs. And by adult dogs, I mean big, scary dogs that bark at you from once the sun goes down and keep you up at night. My friend in Denizli (a city a few hours from here) can't sleep because a group of dogs bark all night, without stopping, and no one does anything about it. In Istanbul, large dogs prowl the main city centers (especially in the metropolitan region of Taksim), and you kind of get the feeling that they're planning a coup. On another night, when Leanna and I left the Whirling Dervish performance in Istanbul, two dogs were on the rooftop above us, hidden, and began barking viciously as soon as we walked past. It was terrifying.

And the dogs here aren't scrawny and malnourished, like in the Philippines. They are big, German Shepherd types that want to eat you. They are not your best friend.

Here, however, we have a cute little puppy that I found outside my guesthouse the other day next to a fledgling rose. Could he be any more adorable? Enjoy him now, my instinct tells me, because in two months he'll be chasing you down the street after dark.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of that terrifying scene in Shantaram, when the author and his assassin friend fought the pack of wild city dogs Chuck Norris-style and barely escaped with their lives. Better start honing your ninja skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am, believe me. There's a reason my name is Jennie Lee.

    ReplyDelete