Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Would you like a faggot with that?


So, there are many meanings for faggot/fagot around the world. In the U.S., it's known most commonly as an offensive slang word for homosexual men, but it can also mean several other things: a bundle of sticks or branches, slang for a cigarette in the U.K., a kind of stitch for fabric (as in "he fagotted a blouse for his wife"), or a method of tying together steel or iron rods for welding.

But did you also know that it means a kind of meatball (typically pork)?

Well, I didn't know that until I Googled it today, so imagine my surprise when I saw the bottom item on the menu in a restaurant in Istanbul! The only meanings I knew were a bundle of sticks, a homosexual man, or a cigarette, and none of them sounded too appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment