Tuesday, September 15, 2009

School begins...sort of.


Before I came to Turkey, a bunch of my American colleagues (people in the ELF program like me) asked when I was coming to Turkey. My Turkish supervisor (at the university) had specifically asked that I come for the first day of classes, September 14th. I chose to come a bit earlier so I could settle in before classes started.

Once I told my Americans colleagues I was coming on the 10th, they were baffled. "Why are you going so early?" they asked, "No one will be there!" I just shrugged. "The head of my department requested it," I replied--in fact, my embassy supervisor had specifically asked my department head again, just to be sure, that he indeed wanted me there. Everyone knows that it's Ramadan, and nothing happens during Ramadan. Usually students don't come to the university until after Bayram, the feast that celebrates the end of Ramadan.

Two days before I was scheduled to leave, I got an email from my department head recommending that I change my ticket so that I would arrive on September 28th. "I have a good idea for you!" He said in the email. "Don't come till the 28th!" I was surprised and not surprised at the same time. The only certain thing, it seems, is that nothing is certain in Turkey (which, to be honest, I sort of love).

So, anyway, I came early anyway, to be here for the first day of class. As my colleagues had predicted it was nearly empty. A handful of freshman (freshes, as they call them sometimes) wandered through the halls, and the professors (of which there were also only a handful) simply told the students to come back after Bayram. But it was fun to meet the few that showed up anyway. They were so kind, and their English wasn't too bad, actually.

But what was wonderful was the enthusiasm with which everyone greeted me. The head of my department (my supervisor) and my other four colleagues are so excited to have me here, which feels wonderful. Why are they so excited? Because I'm a native speaker. Seriously--that's it! Many of the staff and students here are really lacking in strong speaking skills, so having a native speaker here to correct their pronunciation and vocabulary mistakes is such a gift. It's nice to arrive and feel so appreciated already. "Our students are so lucky to have you," they'll say repeatedly as they parade me around the campus and introduce me to other faculty. "And so are we!"

I cannot emphasize enough how generous, welcoming, genuine, and kind my colleagues are.

As for what I'll be doing...I'm teaching a couple of speaking courses in the English department, one writing course, and then...(and this is what I'm really thrilled about)...a poetry course! You have no idea how excited I am...this will be my first time teaching a university literature course as a post-grad. One of my colleagues is from Azerbaijan (but speaks Turkish, a very similar language, apparently, and fluent English). She used to teach the poetry classes, and she talks about teaching Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson to her students...it's so nice to sit around and talk about literature with my colleagues! This is the teaching experience I always longed for...but had to travel abroad to finally experience.

Finally, I'll also be leading one or two faculty discussion hours for faculty to practice their English speaking. I don't have to prep anything for it, just get a discussion rolling (which for Turkish people is no problem, believe me). The purpose is to have someone there to correct their mistakes and also teach American expressions, etc. I'm so excited! I feel like I'm finally starting the teaching career I've always dreamed of!


4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with being there the first day (even if your students are not)--it is the appropriate professional model to set. Yesterday, I finally asked my department what I'm teaching in the fall--they said maybe they'd have the schedule by the first day of class . . . maybe. Are there really only 4 other people in your department? (Leanna)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, only four other people! We haven't even had a graduating class yet--that'll happen at the end of this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! You are really breaking ground. I'm a tad bit jealous . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should be jealous, remember? That was an earlier blog post. And I get to wear sandals to work. But you, my dear, get massive points for being way more hard-core than me.

    ReplyDelete